David L. Bodenhamer Recreation Center
The David L. Bodenhamer Center is a membership based community center that receives over 300,000 visits annually. The beautifully designed facility is home to the City of Gulf Shores Recreation Division offices and is the hub for all recreational athletic and program registrations.
Hours of Operation
Fitness Center Hours
Monday - Friday: 5:30am-8pm
- Deep cleanings will be performed daily of all areas after closing
Aquatic Center Hours:
- Lap/Exercise Swim/Water Aerobics - Monday-Friday 6am-1pm
- Swim Team - Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 3pm-6pm, Wednesday/Friday 3pm-5:30pm
- Open Swim - Monday-Friday 1pm-3pm, Mon/Tue/Thur 6p-8p, Wed/Fri 5:30pm-8pm, Saturday 8am-5pm, Sunday 1pm-6pm
COVID-19 InformationWe continue to prioritize the safety of our members, our team and their families as we implement new protocols upon reopening. We want to welcome everyone back and serve our community with a careful, considered phased plan in accordance with the State of Alabama, CDC and health departments’ guidelines. These efforts will be reviewed, modified and implemented through multiple phases until we can confidently return our facilities and programming back to full operations.
What to Expect at the Recreation Center:
- Facemask and other COVID requirements will be strictly enforced per current State of Alabama - Safer At Home Orders.
- Temperature checks upon entry. Temperatures at 100.4 or higher will not be allowed to enter.
- Social distancing of 6ft required in all areas
- Sanitization of hands required of everyone upon entry AND exit
- Additional measures of sanitization, cleaning and disinfection
- Equipment spaced to establish safe distancing
- Time limits on equipment
- No social gatherings within facility
- Increased signage and staffing to enforce guidelines
- Saunas, coffee station, and water fountains closed per mandatory guidelines
- No towel service will be provided
What to bring:
- Towel, water bottle, mats for classes, headphones for devices, mask/face covering (recommended by guidelines), small portable bag with limited personal belongings/no valuables.
Cleaning and Disinfecting:
In addition to our routine cleaning schedule, enhanced protocols have been added for the safety of our patrons and staff.
- Additional staff for cleaning
- Continuous disinfection of high-tough areas
- Modified facility hours to allow for deep cleaning
- Readily available equipment disinfectant wipes for all to use
- Hand sanitizing stations located throughout the facility
Limited Access Operations:
All areas to be monitored by additional staff, equipment spaced to ensure 6ft social distancing requirements and additional safety/cleaning protocols in place. We have modified all services to occupy specific areas within the facility. All equipment must be wiped with provided materials before AND after each use.
- Cardio Equipment: Lobby, 30 minute rule
- Weight Equipment: Upstairs, 30 minute rule
- Floor Fitness Classes: Gymnasium, limit of 30/class; Upstairs aerobics classroom, limit of 10/class;
- Annex Building/Pool House, limit of 7/class
- Water Aerobics: Shallow end, limit of 10/class, Deep end, limit of 6/class
- Pool Exercise/Lap Swim: Pool, 1-2 swimmers per lane
- Open/General Swim: Pool, Same household groups must remain 6ft from others in pool.
- Limited to 2 swimmers per lane, must start on opposite ends
- Equipment must be left at the end the lap swimmer started
- Limited to small groups of 6 or less from same household
- Same household groups must remain 6ft from others in pool at all times
- Please limit time to allow others to use
Floor Fitness Classes:
- Availability is limited
- Soft equipment such as yoga mats and blocks will not be supplied due to sanitization practices
- All participants must maintain 6ft social distancing before, during and after class
- Class participation is on a first come, first serve basis unless RSVP
- Class times are limited to 45 minutes
- Instructor will give direction for each class prior to start, including entry, equipment procedure
- and spacing requirements
- Upstairs Aerobic Classes are limited to 10 participants
- In order to limit social gatherings and manage waiting area, all upstairs class participants must sign
- in at upstairs fitness desk 20 minutes before the start of class to secure their spot.
- Once signed in, participants must either walk on track or use other areas of the facility to maintain social distance practices and avoid gatherings. They may enter the classroom 10 minutes prior to class start time to set up and prepare for class.
- Check in at main entrance, enter the pool through the glass doors in common area
- Wait in indicated area for class until instructor allows pool entry
- All are highly encouraged to bring personal swimming equipment
- All class equipment must be placed in “used” bin after each class- NO NOODLES will be provided
As always, the safety and well-being of our community is our top priority. This includes our valued team of staff who are adapting and enforcing these modified operations. To remain consistent with government orders and guidelines, staff members:
- Are required and encouraged to wear masks covering nose and mouth per current orders
- Will enforce rules and guidelines
- Will take temperature prior to start of each shift
- Will be routinely disinfecting touchpoints
- Are encouraged to wear provided gloves and any other PPE
- Must stay home if feeling ill and will report any symptoms of COVID illness to supervisor immediately.
- Are required to maintain social distance from patrons and other staff
Facility Amenities Include:
- ADA accessible
- AquaClimb ® wall in pool
- Floor and water aerobics classes
- Full service fitness room including free weights
- Game area (limited due to Covid regulations)
- Indoor heated pool with lap lanes
- Indoor walking/jogging track
- Men's/Women's and Boy's/Girl's locker rooms
- Outdoor children's wading pool
- Racquetball courts (2)
- Regulation size gymnasium
- Coast Cycling
- Tennis Center
- 6 - Soft courts
- 12 - Hard courts
Bodenhamer Indoor Pool:
A variety of classes are available at the David L. Bodenhamer Center including Zumba, Water arthritis, Yoga and Pilates. Drop-In Floor classes are included with RecPass and FitPass memberships. Drop-In Pool classes are included with RecPass and SplashPass memberships. The public can purchase an $10 daily pass to any drop in class at the front desk. To provide the safest environment possible, the maximum class size is 30 participants. Entry is monitored by the instructor and is on a first come, first serve basis.
To see a full schedule of the fitness classes we offer at our recreation and fitness centers, please click here.
Child care is not available.
Memberships: We offer a variety of membership options for residents and non-residents. Click here for more information about membership rates. Daily passes are not available at this time.
To get information about our online registration system and sign up for classes and programs, please click here.
If you are interested in reserving the David L. Bodenhamer Recreation Center gymnasium or pool for an event, please contact Nicole Ard, Recreation Manager, at 251-968-1424 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Front Desk:
Address: 310 West 19th Ave, Gulf Shores 36542