The Gulf Shores City Council Meeting will be held on Monday, September 14, at 4 p.m. at the Erie Hall Meyer Civic Center. This meeting is open to public attendance. Masks and social distancing will be required.
Questions and comments will be taken in person at the meeting. We will continue to stream weekly City Council meetings on Facebook Live for VIEWING ONLY.
Below is a list of noteworthy agenda items the City Council will be taking action on at the meeting. These items were discussed during the Council Work Session meeting held on September 8.
As a reminder, City Council Work Sessions and City Council meetings alternate each Monday. During work session meetings, City staff members have the opportunity to present agenda items to the Mayor and Council to review, discuss and hear from residents. The following Monday at the city council meeting, the Mayor and Council take action on these items and votes to approve or deny these requests.
- PUBLIC ASSEMBLY PERMIT – Mayor and Council will vote to approve the public assembly permit for the 33rd Annual Alabama Coastal Cleanup to take place in Gulf Shores at Gulf Place and Mo’s Landing on September 19, 2020.
- BOARD APPOINTMENT – Mayor and Council will vote to confirm the appointment of Marcelinia Sumerlin to the Personnel Board.
- ENVIRONMENTAL – Mayor and Council will vote whether or not to amend the Architecture Works, LLP Contract for the RESTORE-funded Gulf Coast Center for Ecotourism & Sustainability Project to include additional design services identified as necessary through the planning and schematic design phases in an amount not to exceed $65,000. The City has been awarded $9.7M in RESTORE funding for the Gulf Coast Center for Ecotourism & Sustainability Project as part of the Alabama Gulf Coast Recovery Council’s Multi-year Implementation Plan. Phase I ($1,020,723) of the grant agreement is for planning, engineering, and design services for the project.
- CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECT - Voting will take place to approve or deny the awarding of the Fire Station #2 Roof Replacement contract to Dobson Sheet Metal & Roofing in an amount not to exceed $98,000.
- CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECT - Voting will take place to approve or deny the Little Lagoon Pass Park Improvements contract to Blade Construction to construct a boardwalk with scenic overlooks from Sandpiper Lane to the recently completed West Lagoon Avenue multi-use bicycle and pedestrian trail in an amount not to exceed $150,000.
- FINANCE – Voting will take place to approve or deny allowing surplus items to be auctioned through govdeals.com beginning Monday, September 21, 2020, and ending on October 5, 2020. Surplus items are typically auctioned biannually, every spring and fall, or as needed. Items marked with an asterisk will be declared surplus and donated to the Gulf Shores City Schools.
- FINANCE – Mayor and Council will vote whether or not to amend the 2020 Budget. The amendment is being recommended to allow reductions in General Fund Revenue and Expenses necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- PLANNING & ZONING – A vote will take place to approve a petition for annexation for property in the River Pines Subdivision located on County Road 6. The property is developed with a single family house and the reason for the annexation request is to be included in the Gulf Shores City School System. Upon approval of annexation, the property will automatically be zoned R-1-4 Single Family Residential within the City of Gulf Shores corporate limits.
To see the detailed agenda, please visit https://www.gulfshoresal.gov/AgendaCenter.