Requesting Public Records
It is the policy of the City of Gulf Shores to provide copies of public documents upon request in an expedient manner. Public records are available for public inspection and copying on a reasonable basis, subject to the policies established herein. Such requests, particularly those involving a large volume of information, will be handled on a time available basis. The Records Custodian for the City of Gulf Shores shall be the City Clerk.
- Any person wishing to review or receive copies of public records must complete the Request for Access to Public Records form. The person seeking to review or receive copies of public records must show that he or she has a direct, legitimate interest in the documents sought. The City is entitled to require verifiable information as to the identity of the person requesting the records, as well as that of the person receiving such information.
- The Request for Public Records form will be forwarded to the Records Custodian for review and approval or disapproval. If disapproved, the applicant will be provided the reason for such. Requests for review or copying of voluminous records will be referred to the City Administrator.
- If access to review is granted, the Records Custodian, or their designee, will make an appointment with the applicant to review the records in City Hall. No records will be taken from City Hall under any circumstances. The Records Custodian, or their designee, will be present with the applicant during the review of the records to ensure no damage occurs and no records are removed.
- The Records Custodian, or their designee, will make copies of records.
- The City is entitled to recover the costs of providing requested information. A Research Fee in the amount of $10.00 per hour will be charged. Copy charges shall be $.50 per page. If the applicant requests the records be mailed or faxed, additional charges will apply. An itemized bill will be given to the applicant with payment due prior to release of the records.
- The only exceptions to these procedures will be:
- Thomas B. Norton Public Library - Reference materials are available to the public and a self-service coin operated copy machine is available
- Building Department or City Engineer - Copies of blueprints and other large documents may be provided with fees set according to the size and type of paper
- Municipal Court, Police and Fire Departments - May provide information regarding records as stipulated by state law
Requesting Access to Public Records
Public Records requests will only be accepted in writing. To submit a Public Records request, please download the request form and mail to the address below. You may also submit Public Record requests through our online form.
Records Request Form
City of Gulf Shores
203 Clubhouse Drive, Suite A
P.O. Box 299
Gulf Shores, AL 36547
For more information regarding a Public Records request, contact Emily Tidwell. For more information view Resolution No: 3343-02: Public Records Policy.